Clicking a picture will bring up all the posts pictures in a slideshow. To view an individual picture in full screen, right click and select 'Open link in new tab'

Sunday 13 May 2012

Walkfest 2012 - Kirroughtree and Corsewall

Before starting this post I'd like to apologize to my subscribers and my subscriptions for my absence from your posts.
I still have health issues, and I've been fairly busy this last fortnight.I'll catch up sometime soon.  

This week it's the Newton Stewart Walking Festival , and I'm leading one walk and joining another two.
This post is for the first two of my three.

Friday 11th May
Kirroughtree to Newton Stewart
I'm in good company for this walk. It's being led by our walking group's secretary with Shorty as back up. (they're also very much involved in the running of the festival)
There's also a couple more walkers from the ramblers.

We're a group of 24 as we're dropped off at Kirroughtree visitors centre.


Our leader outlines the route we'll take.


Recently finished new paths take us through the forest.


Our first stop is Bruntis Loch where our leader imparts information on how the area was once a centre of lead mining. More information on Canmore at Blackcraig


A walk round the loch brings us to the 'Gem Stane', one of the Seven Stanes that span the South of Scotland. All are located in mountain biking centres.


Back on the move we follow the path to Little Bruntis and join a forest road that will take us round Larg hill. (there are numerous Larg hills in the Galloway hills, this is one of the smaller ones)


I get a group photograph.


After circling Larg Hill we take to the fields.


Here we're overlooking Newton Stewart


A onetime homestead is now used for the storage of cattle feed.


Heading west we come to the remains of Larg Tower or the Castle of Larg, first recorded in 1684.
Probably an imposing building in it's day it's now reduced to a pile of rubble.


The field brings us down to the A712 (The Queensway) and across the Calgow burn.


A climb up through the trees in Doon wood brings us to Parliament Knowe, a one time ancient hill fort.
In more recent times though it was the site of a travellers camp. 
“And how’re you, Geordie?” 
“I’m weel,” said he, “an’ I was juist telling my mither before I left Parliament Knowe that it was in this shan wee gav (bad wee town) that the young man who was interested in travellers leeved. Dae ye ken what she said, young man?” 
“No,” said I. 
“Weel, she said that he maun be a rauge gadgi (daft man) that wad ha’e ocht to do wi’ tinklers”.
Andrew McCormick's 'The Tinkler-Gypsies of Galloway' published in 1906
More on this at Future Museum



Doon wood leads to Beechwood, Wildwood, Clarkswood and Bower wood.
We pass a herd of Belted Galloways. 


We emerge from the woods on the Old Edinburgh road in Minnigaff.


At Creebridge we pass the 'Ye Old Toll Bar', which is currently under renovation.
Read more in the 'Galloway Gazette'.


This house and gardens always looks immaculate.


The riverside finishes a lovely walk.

Later that evening there was a tenth anniversary celebration in the Belted Galloway at the Riverside


A delicious curry supper was followed by a slice of birthday cake, shown here being cut by the committee.
A very enjoyable day.


Saturday the 12th of May
Cairnside to Kirkcolm

We've a nearly full bus as we leave Newton Stewart for Stranraer.
There are two walks in the Rhins today.
Mine is the coastal one. Lofty's my back up.
We did this back in March. Corsewall to Kirkcolm
Lofty and myself recce'd either end of the walk earlier in the week.

From Cairnside farm we followed a track down to the coast passing the ruins of what was a 'Chain Home' radar station.


I've a good mix of walkers with me today. They hail from Northumberland, the Borders, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dalbeattie closer to home. I didn't get to talk to everyone, but there were a few southern accents.


Passing Corsewall Point. (I'm coming back here to explore. I'm sure there's a bottle from the Firth of Cromarty waiting intact for me to find it.


The Lighthouse and Ailsa Craig


Our return bus was due in Kirkcolm at 4.30. I already had my doubts we'd make it by then. 


As usual, there was lots of opportunities to take pictures of  ferries.


At Port Mullin we had a short break where I told the story of Barney Mcghee.


Waterfall just beyond Port Leen


It was 1pm when we reached Burnfoot. We were behind schedule, so we stopped here for lunch.
Lofty was keeping his eye on progress and time. He'd be coordinating any changes in pick up times.


This Wheatear and Shag were among the many birds we saw on this walk. Eider ducks and Oyster catchers were also in numbers. Also seen was the odd seal, a couple of deer and lots of hares.


After rounding Milleur Point we're heading down Loch Ryan.


Ready for the charge gang?


Opposite the new Stena terminal at Port Beg.


We're on the last leg of the walk as we climb Clachan hill.


It's a colourful view back the way we came.


Colourful Wild Primula.....


.........and Skunk Cabbage lead us through the Barn Park plantation to the Kirkcolm shore road where the bus has just arrived. 
It's 5 o'clock so were only half an hour late. 
It's been a good walk. There'll be some tired bodies tonight.

5 comments:

  1. Looks Like You Got a cracking day for it Jim.Nice area And Photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of familiar places in the pics also some well kent faces, another successful Newton Stewart walking festival by the looks of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My computer had a wee moment when I was leaving a comment here earlier, so if you find I've left the same twice, feel free to delete one Jim.

    I've heard of the 7 stanes walk before but hadn't realised what the 7 stanes were. i wounder if the other 6 are very much in the same vein as the one you showed here.

    I noticed a brown belted galloway in amongst your herd of cows. I don't think I've seen one of those before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we have skunk cabbage too~
    how wonderful to see these walks, these people enjoying the journey and celebration, the wonder of your lands and buildings. thank you ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim hello!
    As usual your landscapes are lovely & your travels enjoyed!

    I sure hope your on the mend soon!

    I myself can barely keep up with blogger anymore, so busy all the time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your comments. I may not get to reply to them all, but you may be sure they'll be appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Photographs

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.

Morning deer

Morning deer
is someone watching me