Clicking a picture will bring up all the posts pictures in a slideshow. To view an individual picture in full screen, right click and select 'Open link in new tab'

Monday 12 August 2013

Meg's Craig - A short moorland walk

The last post of a panorama weren't the only pictures I took today.
Here are progressive views from my walk start up Culbratten Hill to arriving at Meg's Craig.





Among the trees in Culbratten Woods was this strange looking fungus.

Can anyone identify it ?


A solitary Grass of Parnassus flower looking quite forlorn.



This butterfly was absolutely beautiful with open wings, but obviously camera shy.

The picture below is a copy of the previous post's panorama, doesn't look much shrunk does it ?

8 comments:

  1. Your photos are breathtaking. I love the sheep and the views. I have yet to capture a butterfly, they are too fast for me. I don't know what type of fungus that is but you got a great photo of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks a nice moor that Jim. Are you sure that's a butterfly and not a day flying moth :)If it's a butterfly I don't know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Linda, I still haven't identified the fungus.

    The same goes for the butterfly Bob. I know you get big moths in the tropics having seen lots in the 60's, but this was bigger than any British moth I've seen. I thought it might have been a Scotch Argus but on closer inspection it's not. Perhaps I've photographed a rarity ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S I'll have to go back and get an open winged shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. some wonderful finds and landscapes. love that lone parnassus, we have them as well. and the fungus in the tree, fun fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammie, it was a previously unexplored by me area. I'll be back.

      Delete
  6. I didn't have my glasses on when I looked at that butterfly photograph last time so the fine detail was missing from my observation. Couldn't see any antennae stalks on it but I see now one's pointing straight up towards the lens. Butterfly. You are right.
    Old age is cruel:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob, it might well be a butterfly, but I didn't realize we had so many big moths in the UK. Maybe it is some kind of Emperor moth.

      Delete

Thanks for all your comments. I may not get to reply to them all, but you may be sure they'll be appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Photographs

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.

Morning deer

Morning deer
is someone watching me