Clicking a picture will bring up all the posts pictures in a slideshow. To view an individual picture in full screen, right click and select 'Open link in new tab'

Thursday 2 October 2014

The colour of October and a Hipflask !

Yesterday, was Wednesday, the first day of October.
My walking friend the 'Ranger' was in Newton Stewart. 
She knows I've been suffering from my recent extractions at the dentist.
It was a nice day and we headed for Kirroughtree in the Galloway Forest Park for a short  walk round.

It's been a great summer, but the trees are now showing lots of colour.


This is the attractive garden of Daltamie House opposite where the visitor centre used to be.



Now darker nights are here this will be a great spot to view the night sky.


The 'Ranger' hadn't seen the new visitor's centre or the 'wheel' so this was a pleasant surprise for her.


Flying over was this Reims Cessna F172M Skyhawk, G-BAEY.
It's part of Skytrax Aviation of Peterborough's fleet.


We were taking one of the Short walks in Kirroughtree


Arriving at Little Bruntis Loch we encountered a guy throwing a stick for his dog to retrieve.
We said hello as we were leaving and the dog was still eager to go fetch.


View over to the bridge and the Gem Stane


Little Bruntis Loch


A closer view of the Gem Stane
I must go and find the Giant Axe Head sometime, I can't believe I haven't seen it yet !


Before meeting up with me, the 'Ranger' had just been for some pampering, hence the fingernails close up. (I hope I'm not in trouble for publishing this collage) 


After retracing our route we had coffee in the visitor's centre.
I'm still trying to get a good photograph of the elusive otters in Galloway.
The one above has no problem with people anymore.


While in the cafe we noticed people coming and going with hired mountain bikes from the Brake Pad next door. Kirroughtree is one of the most popular forests for mountain bikers in the country and of course it is part of the 7stanes network of mountain bike trails.


We had fun with the 'Whirlybirds' off the Maple Tree, 


I thought I'd try and get one whirling back to ground. 
DOH ! An instant picture won't show it whirling, will it ? Silly man.. There is a way, but I can't figure it out yet.
The 'Ranger' has headed back to Ayrshire now.Next week she begins five weeks of intensive medical treatment. 
Might I on behalf of all our walking group wish her well, and that she'll soon be back enjoying her hiking with us. We know she is one tough lady and though it wont be a 'Walk in the Park' she'll take it with the grit and determination that defines her.


I thought I'd finish this post with a photograph of a cracking gift I recently received from my eldest daughter. 
It supplements the pop up cup I received as an earlier gift.

While cropping the picture on Picasa I wondered how it would look with the colours inverted.
Hey presto !

Bye for now.

6 comments:

  1. The sentiment behind the gift is very thoughtful indeed Jim - lucky man aren't daughters great!
    And see you did get to the dark park, just a little late :)
    That seasonal colour is entering your world and things will be a-changing before long now.
    Sincere and good wishes to the 'Ranger' and may she be hiking again before she knows it.
    Oh, and if his human could keep up the retriever would be fetching all day long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose, I thought about going out to look at the stars last night, but guess what............the clouds were gathering! sods law again.

      Delete
  2. Lovely blue skies, beautiful setting! Your daughter gave you a very nice gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only the blue sky and colours that prompted this post Linda. A lovely day right enough. It's all changed now.

      Delete
  3. Looks a nice area Jim. Like the hip flask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Forestry Commission have really gone to town on Kirroughtree Bob. Not quite finished yet, but very attractive for visitors.

      Delete

Thanks for all your comments. I may not get to reply to them all, but you may be sure they'll be appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Photographs

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.

Morning deer

Morning deer
is someone watching me