Clicking a picture will bring up all the posts pictures in a slideshow. To view an individual picture in full screen, right click and select 'Open link in new tab'

Tuesday 20 January 2015

Pibble Hill Mine Revisited

Monday 20th January
A nice cold day to make a return visit to the Pibble Hill Mines
I've been here a couple of times before.
Wellies seemed a good idea and was as it turned out.
As I walked I took this photo behind me. Cairnsmore of Fleet with a white topping.


Here's my target, the ruins of the Pibble Mine.


The frost has set pretty deep up here.


Ice sculptures aren't up to 2010 quality, but if the cold spell last, watch this space.


Here's a selfie with a difference.


Now here's a few different views of the engine house.
 It was built in 1853 to house a Cornish beam engine.


There's a lot of information on the internet such as this from the 


I moved up the hill a bit.


More ice sculptures are forming


Below and close by was a herd of Belted Galloways.


To the north east are the Clints of Dromore


More ice caught my attention.


Spoil heaps abound up here.


 Here's an entrance


Without flash.............


.................with flash


I wondered about this piece of agricultural machinery the last time.
I'm really no wiser except I know it was made by McCormick.
Wait a minute, I think I've found it. It's what's left of a McCormick Thresher.

Before heading back I got this panorama.
That was a nice wee walk.

3 comments:

  1. It was a fabulous walk actually - history, views and snow. I really like the ag machinery. Wherever ruins are standing there's always a fascinating story. All the images are very fine, but for some reason I am particularly drawn to 'Here's my target,...' And Cairnsmore is really sporting a fine white cap here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I reached the summit of a mountain in the snow was in the 1960's when I was in the military. We rushed up Helvellyn to come down Striding Edge in a beautiful winter setting.
      I didn't reach the summit of Benyellary when a group I was walking with did it. Maybe a snowy Galloway hill summit is still within my reach.
      Thanks for your comment my lovely Rose~from Oz.

      Delete
  2. Looks a lovely crisp winters day there. I think the no flash cave photo wins it hands down. Beautiful colours in the rock under natural light. Grimm's fairy tale look to them. That's the most belties I've seen for many years, normally half a dozen in a field is a find.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your comments. I may not get to reply to them all, but you may be sure they'll be appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Photographs

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.

Morning deer

Morning deer
is someone watching me