Clicking a picture will bring up all the posts pictures in a slideshow. To view an individual picture in full screen, right click and select 'Open link in new tab'

Thursday 20 July 2023

A quick trip back to the Emerald Isle October 2010

Not long after our Antrim trip,I was back over to the Emerald Isle.Not such a happy occasion this time,I was attending the burial of a close relative.
Back up the foothills of the Cuilcagh mountain in Glangevlin to the old homestead at Dunmakeever.

The rolling hills of West Cavan look as lush as ever.

The requiem mass was well attended,with family coming from far and wide.Even this frog was trying to get into the church.


But as well as being a sombre occasion,it was also a celebration of his life,and it was good to meet up again with some of the nicest people I know.The immediate family made sure that the extended family were enfolded in the occasion.


Up from Kildare came a rebel of a musician by the name of Mick Molloy (Not to be confused with Matt Molloy of the Chieftains,though Mick has sung with Kila),accompanied by his missus Rosie.


I hadn't my video camera with me,so the film quality is found wanting,but an enjoyable time was had by all at the bar.


All too soon I had to vacate the hen house my tent was in and make my way back to Belfast and the boat.

I was back early enough to take a run up to Carrickfergus....

...and view some of the sights.

Back in Scotland on a clear day the chimney of the Kilroot power station in Belfast Lough can often be seen.I'm much closer today.

The Harland and Wolff and other dock cranes show me the way back to the ferry.

I'm soon back at the quayside.

As I wait to board the Stena Navigator,I take some more pictures and reflect on my short and poignant trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for all your comments. I may not get to reply to them all, but you may be sure they'll be appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Photographs

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.

Morning deer

Morning deer
is someone watching me