Clicking a picture will bring up all the posts pictures in a slideshow. To view an individual picture in full screen, right click and select 'Open link in new tab'

Wednesday 31 July 2013

THE GEM ROCK MUSEUM at CREETOWN

This will be my first post containing one hundred pictures.
Quite a few readers will remember Tim Stephenson. On the Devil's Bridge walk of the Newton Stewart Walking Festival, he came along to share his geological knowledge. He's also a lapidary (or lapidarist).
 Here's My Post of those walks I did.
Tim and his wife Caroline run the Gem Rock Museum in Creetown, they're on Facebook too. 
I had occasion to go and ask Tim about a piece of rock that the 'Ranger' had found on the shores of Loch Doon. It was nothing too exciting, but Tim gave me a complimentary ticket to look around. Even though our rambling group call in to the cafe at least once a year, it's at least five years since I looked around the museum. Tuesday morning I headed over with my camera.

The good weather continues
The museum is well signposted from the A75


There's a few interesting sculptures in the drystone wall around the entrance.


Kings and Queens maybe ?


A self portrait and four stars from Visit Scotland


The entrance lobby


Fine words from John Ruskin


God of the grape harvest, winemaking and wine, of ritual madness and ecstasy


There now follows a great deal of pictures of the exhibits. It's difficult taking pictures through glass. I've had to lighten quite a few of those I took. Some of the labels are visible when the picture is enlarged, but others may have been blurred through the enhancement.
If anyone requires an explanation of any of the pictures I'd suggest getting in contact with Tim or Caroline. 
If I remember anything about any of the exhibits I'll leave a comment otherwise just enjoy the kaleidoscope.





I believe this sculpture is made out of petrified wood.


The next two pictures are of the same exhibit only the second one was with flash activated







This is a close up of the Amethyst Geode in the previous picture.



















Quartz Sphalerite Pyrites


Olga, a 50,000 year old cave bear skeleton










I doubt very much that anyone could look at every exhibit in a day. It's a collection compiled by three generations of the Stephenson family.







































I took a break along with other visitors to watch a video on rock and crystal formation.......
...............in the stylish Professors Study



The film which lasted around fifteen minutes was very informative and easy to follow.



The museum was once the village school, but education still goes on here. As well as visits by local school groups there's also a working gem cutting lapidary and gold/silversmith workshop.


The Prospectors Pantry serves excellent fare.

  
After enjoying a cup of coffee I headed for the Crystal Cave 
I don't know why I haven't taken my grandchildren here though perhaps two of them have been when I was busy once.



Here's a collage of the pictures I took inside the cave. These were taken with the camera flash on. Better, more colourful results could be achieved by a steady hand and no flash.


 I'll end my visit by taking a look at the shop.






I was last in the shop about three years ago buying a couple of presents for visitors from down south.
There looks to be more on sale now.

Thanks Tim and Caroline, I thoroughly enjoyed my look around.
I won't wait as long to revisit.

5 comments:

  1. This is such a fascinating and delightful post! Thank you so much for sharing this tour. I absolutely love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, my friend would be in heaven at the Gem Rock Museum,! His true passion is gem smithing but he has been sidetracked by other employment & building a dream house.
    Awesome post, thanks! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is a cracking little museum - I think I'm overdue a visit - must get round soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing collection of gemstones. Didn't know you could get Rainbow and snowflake obsidian. Liked the green carved figures.
    Did you get a special deal for showing off the merchandise? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda, you're welcome. excuse the pun but the museum is a gem.

    Send your friend over for a holiday Michael. All work and no play makes 'Jack A Dull Boy'

    I'm always mystified as to where you'll end up next Sandy. I'll guess that you'll be at the Craft Fair this weekend. I'll miss it, this must be one of the busiest weekends of the year in the region.
    Maybe I'll get over after the Wheelie Good Bike Show on Sunday.

    Hi Bob, it really is an amazing collection and worth a visit anytime. I need to go back to photograph the diamonds once I can figure the setting I need on my camera. Aye, I got a complementary ticket and an invite to return when I want, but Tim and Caroline are such friendly folk they'd let a stray in anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your comments. I may not get to reply to them all, but you may be sure they'll be appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Photographs

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.

Morning deer

Morning deer
is someone watching me